Miss Hannah Blackstone came to Hagerman to start the first school in 1895. She was a charter member of the Methodist Church and the Woman's Club. In 1902, she was married to Harry Cowan. After many years of service to the community, she passed away on January 8, 1952.
This picture taken from where the current Central Office is showcases the classroom addition to the early school that is now the R.A. Welborne Auditorium.
This photo is taken from the current playground of the elementary school showing the entire district circa 1920.
Our Vision and Mission
The Vision of the Hagerman Municipal Schools is to create a learning community that provides quality education services to all students.
The Mission of the Hagerman Municipal Schools, in partnership with the community, is to educate all students for success and to create a learning community which will foster positive attitudes and skills leading toward healthy, responsible citizenship and academic excellence through a sound, relevant curriculum taught by a caring, qualified staff in a technology-rich environment.
- All Hagerman Municipal School District students will succeed by meeting proficiency levels on the PARCC assessment in Math and English Language.
- Increase student participation in post-secondary education opportunities.
- Increase student participation in extra/intra curricular activities.
- Administration will successfully implement the NMPED Teacher and Principal evaluation system.
- Celebrate student and teacher achievement.
Regular meetings of the Board of Education shall generally be held on the third Monday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Room housed in the Hagerman Middle School, 406 North Cambridge Street, Hagerman, New Mexico. If the third Monday of the month falls on a holiday, the meeting shall be held the following Monday.